Friday 4 October 2024

Taichung Funeral Day 7

 Dad bought savoury congee for breakfast. The dried radish 蘿蔔乾 was crunchy and nice. There was taro chunks inside. I also had a red bean pancake. 




After breakfast dad left to do some stuff. I tidied a bit of luggage and then did some vacuuming and mum did the mopping. Dad came back before lunch and we all headed out. First stop is to collect hongbao from the 土地公廟 for 重陽節 which celebrates older people.

Then headed towards 四叔's shop. We said hi, and then heard to lunch at a local vege eatery which has outdoor seating. Yay! It was cooler today and the breeze wasn't hot, so it was nice to sit outside. Mum picked some small dishes and then we ordered from the paper slip. I got 榨菜肉絲麵 vege ver. And a side plate of yam leaves. Very nice and light.




Then off to 四叔 shop and dad, 二叔,五叔 went to open grandma's safe box at the bank for inheritance purposes.

Saw a 2 door car decorated like Shrek. Unique. 

四叔 also has the cutest and coolest special moped. 


四叔's special moped


I stayed and chatted with 四叔 and 四嬸 for a bit and mum headed home early. I got to see his "museum" of beetles haha. He has 4+ more at the back too. He has one at the front, it was eating jelly. 四叔 asked me (because it was awkward to ask dad) if dad broke his leg last year was due to him having had a bit much to drink cause he gifted him some gaoliang. I said no, they were at a winery but dad usually drives so he would have had at most some taste test sips. Rest easy.





After that I went home and stopped by Daiso on my way. They had no shoe glue... And then innisfree shop. Their stuff is a little cheaper and they have special bundles at special pricing. I forgot to try the sampler for the smell...

I got home and just had some tea and the rest of the pomelo in the fridge. Rested my sore feet.

Dad's appt for safe opening was at 1:40pm but the bank had staffing issues, couldn't locate the person to open the safe on time. The tax dept person was on time. Dad got beach at around 4pm. Grandma left some USD (would be old notes), RMB, old NTD, 5 大圓頭 coins, jewellery, gold jewellery weighing 727g (incl whatever gemstones was on it). She really does 疼 all her sons.... And then when it was time to do the paperwork the bank people couldn't find the right staff to stamp 2 stamps and the tax officer was going crazy (probably had another appt afterwards). So there is inheritance tax and I think it's like $13mil for each person before tax applies.

So that's dad's story. Not long after we went out to buy dinner. I saw outside the vege buffet place there's a bean cake stand so I bought 2 of them, one adzuki + butter, and the other adzuki + macha, so I can taste all the flavours lol. Stopped by the super old bakery on the main street of Fengchia nightmarket and bought 2 breads. Bomb bread and Mexico bread (savoury buttery inside??). 



After tea, we went to get a Sim sorted at Senao Chunghwa. Dad ended up getting a local Sim so we can take turns and you don't have to make up awkward days with the traveller Sim if our stay in Taiwan is unconventional time period.

By the time we got back it was almost 9pm.... Took an hour. I saw the Sony 10 iv and 1 iv there though. The mark 10 is the same width as the xz2c, but the mark 1 is fatter. No mark 5. Ugh.

Just some more luggage struggle, quick blog, and sleep soon. 

No comments: