Friday 17 November 2023

Taichung Day 20

 Not much today. Just luggage struggle, and packing up the blue suitcase. I'm overweight... *sigh* not having an accurate scale is really stressful. 

二叔 did his particular thing with the tying rope handles so I just left him to it. Luggage struggle took me all the way until 12pm...

And then I went to 四叔's for lunch as he said he would treat me. I had to decline his offer of KBBQ and hotpot at a restaurant because I am just uncomfortable dining indoors. On the way I went into the post shop and bought some stamps for my last lot of postcards. 四嬸 took me to a bentou place just a few doors down from his shop, and this shop had really good food?? I got like a gyuudon-style beef bentou. It had cabbage and pickled seaweed and some julienne bamboo shoots (I think it was), and a aji-tsuke egg with melty yolk. The flavour was really good? Like it's reminiscint of Japanese style flavouring, and the rice good too (this one was $150). I really enjoyed it and cleaned it up spotless.

Then we had tea and 四叔 has a visitor, a lecturer at some sort of techonology university and he talked about his woe about finding placements for his students. After he left 四嬸 talked to me about why I feel anxious about dining indoors? I tried to explain best as I could about airborne transmission and ventilation in Mando, but they think I am giving myself a bit too much pressure. And said that there's a lot of things I can't control - I rseponded then what I can control is choosing not to dine indoors and avoiding high risk situations. I didn't expect them to fully understand anyway. The lack of education is the same everywhere. 

They had someone come in for something else, and then I asked if they had some bubble wrap and stuff as I was musing on sending Bridget's xmas gift (ceramic plates) as it'll take enough weight out... and I got given lots of material. Sweet. I said goodbye and went home to sort this out.

I wrapped each plate in bubble wrap, and filled the edges with more wrap. Then double boxed it and put some packing foam in between the boxes. It ended up being 67g over 3kgs.... oof... meant I pay an extra $100. Total was $940 :') 

It's ok, it saves me stressing at the airport anyway. :') Lesson learnt, don't agree to take stuff for anyone else until you've prioritised what you want.

After that, I just went home and tidied up, and started writing my postcards. Then 二叔 said that we'll get dinner before we go to grandma's. He came back with dinner at 5:20pm... its too early and I had a big lunch. I wasn't that hungry but I ate some anyway.

Then off to grandma's. Grandma insisted on getting up and offering me her seat, I kept saying noooo but she did... I didn't sit in it though, and she eventually went back into her seat. I saw both cats briefly today, Huniuo was omre inquisitive but still no touchy. Maiya was in Grandma's room lol, so I saw briefly when Grandma started going on about the wheelchair in her room (there was none) and 二叔 went to check. Grandma isn't very stable when she walks now, and needs a support. 

We just sat and watched TV - I got to see the last part of 劇說台灣 on the current story they were on, but having missed the middle I dunno what happened there. It was a semi-sweet happy ending. The show before that on 7pm, 親家 was kinda amusing too. The 8pm one 天道 is a soap opera and everything is so dramatic and seems to be a new developement every episode lmao. This time it's a new secretary, who is here for revenge on someone since she saw them murder her dad as a kid. 

Shortly after 8pm we went home, after 小智 came back from throwing the rubbish when the rubbish truck came.

The wind is a lot chillier now so that's nice, but it's still moderately warm in the day time.

I didn't get to see 五叔 or 五嬸 either. 五叔 is at badmington again, and 五嬸 isn't back from work yet. 

I said bye to 小智, and 賢伯 was busying playing LoL, so I just knocked on his room and said goodbye to him. At least he had enough to pay attention and say bye to me, since he is very much grunty gamer who doesn't care much about anything else now. Hugged grandma goodbye, and 小智 too. 

We went home and I just finished off my postcards, and got the envelope for sending the SIM card back to Dark H ready. Then shower, blog and bed.

I am going to miss Taiwan. It has been very soul-soothing and enriching for me. It's good to connect with my home country, the land and my roots. I just wish it was a different world, so I didn't have to worry about the pandemic so much. 

No comments: