Thursday 19 October 2023

Taichung Day 5 (Shuinan neighbourhood)

 I got dropped off at Huang Ming Hai Dentist for a clean. He didn't take any xrays though, and commented that I had no carries, which is good. The rinse cup is very cute. I asked for 9am first appt but there was 2 other people and a baby there aready... :E I think they may have misremebered me as 9:30am instead... I wanted to be first to reduce covid risk. The whole time I was praying for me to be safe. At 9:15am I got on the chair, and arpund 9:45am they were done. Fingers crossed.... Gave them ynuts as gifts, too.

Then I walked around 水湳市場, which was sooooo busy. I forgot 三舅媽's noodle stall was closed today.

I found a candy shop which sold the M&M pistols, yay! But no strawberry candy, shop lady said they don't make it in summer because the ants come.... but like... isn't it the same for the other lollipops?

Off we go, to the shop that sells incense. Called mum but the video call made my phon absolutely hot??? So I hung up and told them to do normal call not video. Confirmed what they wanted and off I go.

Next, decided to go to 大展文具行 where we've been buying stationary from since childhood. Seems like the boss usually sits on his stool next to the door. He greeted me as I came in today. Stil feels mostly the same, though the stuff outside on the shelves have lessened quite a bit. It used to be stocked full! Now it's just 2 shelves... The inside is more or less the same, I think. Some shelves have changed like for the stickers? And seeing the stamps for good job made me happy. I haven't seen them in a long time. But my hands were full and I forgot to take a photo.

My total came to $761, I bought quite a lot. I managed to find my stamp collecting book! They only had 1 though. I wanted two... ah well. I guess it's not a very popular item. There was a bit of dust on it so I guess it's been sitting for quite some time. The boss thanked me 謝謝,小姐 once I finished paying. The store always has 30% off.

I took the old route down 中清路二段 towards my old house. The 雜貨店 that sold sweets and various goodies is now... am empty lot. It's so sad. And a section along the road near the creek used to be all juan chun houses were knocked down too. A lot has changed. The corner where the 雞蛋糕 is now a 7-11. So I'm not sure if he sells there any more. It used to be a noodle store on that corner.

Then down to the 福德宮 near my house. It used to have a 110+ year old tree 榕樹, but it's no longer there. Looking at google maps I think it died in 2020. So sad. I spent some time here, they've remodellled the place too. Looking at Google Maps it was afer 2009. Across from this 福德宮 used to be a budaixi cart where I remember watching as a kid. I sat on the seats and had some snacks and drink. Then I walked down to the street where our old house was. Things have changed, so it doesn't feel as 'right' or nostalgic. I see the Ama next door is still well - I saw her sitting in her yard. There was Agong someone trimming the pot plant tree outside in between our old house and ama's. Becuase they were there I didn't stop and just kept walking... wish I could've have some time to stand and look.

Then down to the breakfast store and old 雜貨店. It was closed today.... shutters down. Sign is still new though. It's about 12pm now so it should be open. Ahh....

Breakfast store still there but obviously done for the day.

I continue towards the Versailles bedding shop, as I need to get some sheets ordered. It's a long walk... I ended up stopping at a 7-11 and bought two onigiri to eat whilst walking, and then sat at a nearby park. This park is actually Folklore Park, and they have a historic building! The part with the water feature is closed for maintenance which is a shame, but I got to see the building. Very flavour.

Anyways I had to go to the bedding store first and picked 2 cute printed sheet sets to be made. I got 10% off for picking 2 sets which came to $5004 for the both of them. The store lady counted as $5000. It's about the same price as if I were to buy in NZ so... gimme. Sheet sets in NZ are so boring.

The store lady is so nice, she even checked the bus for me! Very very friendly. I ended up looking at the museum in Folklore park and then walking halfway and getting the Ubike to register and then biked home... I passed by the park where Laolao's old Juanchun house used to be. I had to go into some long grass - and to me delight, I found Hanshouchao!! YOOO!!! There's so many of them!!! I couldn't really get to the big 榕樹 which was 2 houses down from her's as the noticed sooo many mosquitos came out and were ready to feed - so I quickly offed and got out of the grass. Yikes!!!

Anyway, very happy about that - I'll come with repellant next time and see if I can get in further.

Parked the ubike and went to the postshop to grab some stamps for the postcards. An an envelope for sending masks to someone in Aus to test it.

Meilin ayi cooked dinner and it was very yummy. After clean up I just pooped and wrote my postcards. My feet are so dead!


No comments: